Sunday, October 28, 2007

B.O.M.B.s Against Java -Take Back the Bitter

As if there wasn't enough social injustice in the world today, I feel victimized by the new Maxwell House ads that proudly proclaim: "Here's To A World Without Bitterness." I actually shuddered there for a moment.

Here's a secret about being a bitter old maid, I'm not actually bitter, nor do I consider myself to be an old maid. So okay do I seem about my singular status that friends are actually stunned when I mention that I'm still looking for Mr. Right.

For those who has asked, this bitter old blog is meant to as mentioned entertain my friends and myself, but to also skewer collective culture's thoughts on where I should be in my personal life- married, babied and considerably less exuberant than I am. You see, society doesn't quite know what to make of someone who's extremely comfortable not only in her skin, career and place in the world, but one who continually forgets to fit an easy stereotype of an unmarried woman in her 30s navigating the brutal dating terrain. The men that I meet find their egos bruised by the notion that while I might not particularly need them to financially support me, I still might want their emotional support- but that's for another time.

Remember that episode of 90210 when the girls turned activists to take back the night? Well, this blog is about taking back the bitter. I'm not who you think I am, I am bitter here me roar!

Let's hear it for the B.O.M.B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bitter, Thank you for proving that being funny doesn't mean you're bitter. I'm ancient by my community's standards, but I feel luckier than my married mommy friends.

If that makes me bitter then I'm fine withit.