Friday, October 19, 2007

Deceptively Suspicious- Creamed Spinach Copycat


While I blithely went on commenting on plucky little Jessica Seinfeld's meteoric rise to the top of the book charts (Shock! Amazement! How could it happen?) I completely forgot to mention the story in the New York Times today that elucidates certain similarities in her new book Deceptively Delicious with a previously published cookbook. Now, interesting conundrum, ya think they're going to blame the ghost or 'fess up that it's a miraculous case of synchronicity?

Yum yum. I'm just dying to eat over at the Seinfelds' now- pureed spinach in brownies! It doesn't get any better than that...

Jerry says: “Let’s be realistic — my wife isn’t in this for the money or the publicity.” (Which is why she appeared on Oprah, and which is why JS then made Kissy poo to the big O to thank her for pushing Mrs. S's book to #1!)
Jess says: “I can’t explain a coincidence like this,” Ms. Seinfeld said, “but I applaud it and I wish there were 10 more books like mine because I’m not in this for a competition, I’m in this to help families.”

Which is why the book is actually not sold in stores but given away for free, why Jess has decided to forgo an advance and royalties in favor of donations to orphanages. Yeah right, and I can wear the Calvins I wore in high school. It's nice to know that this was a labor of altruism on the part of the Seinfelds because celebrities never, ever try to cash in on their fame and fortune with vanity book projects.

Chew on that...

No comments: