Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Desperate (to be a) Housewife

Robert Chambers, who was known back in the '80s as the "preppy killer" is back in jail, this time for dealing coke. While I was too young to remember the hows and whys of the case, I do remember the shock at his murder of Jennifer Levin, and the headlines as his priest and parents came to his defense. This time he was accompanied only by girlfriend Shawn Kovell, also accused of dealing drugs.

Now, this isn't a post meant to make you laugh. If it makes you think, I'll be gratified.

As a kid I remember the lesson of the Levin murder being that's what happens to Jewish girls who are trouble and who mess with big goyish boys. For me, the message is actually more tragic. From marrying a Menendez brother, to O.J. Simpson's girlfriend, to Shawn Kovell dating (and dealing drugs with) Robert Chambers, one wonders at the warped kind of woman who would date a high profile murderer. Yes, I do believe in rehabilitation. I also believe that it takes a complete lack of self esteem or limelight seeking desperation to allow your only claim to fame to be that you are the significant other of a convicted murderer.

Ladies, you'd be better off alone.

As you were....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - heavy stuff - thanks!