Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Rose (Ceremony) By Any Other Name Is Just As Twee

I watched The Bachelor last night- but trust me it was under extreme duress. One of my friends suggested that this hour o'drivel would make for a great post. Honestly? My stomach is still kind of queasy. I'm not a TV fan at the best of times and find the concept of reality television to be mostly a contradiction in terms.

Here's my conclusion:
  • The Bachelor is hot. No doubt about that, and his accent is seriously swoon inducing.
  • The creator or producer of the series must have been rejected by every single woman that he has ever met in his entire life- I kid you not, from grammar school to junior high to high school to college, this person probably didn't get laid until his forties, and only then because he was a successful wealthy producer. The Bachelor is his way of humiliating skinny, beautiful mostly blonde girls exactly like the ones who rejected him for most of his life.
  • The audience of this show is intended to be: Bitter Old Matrons who can gleefully watch these poor insecure girls and smugly think to themselves- 'thank God that's not me. My husband might be bald/fat/unemployed and impotent, but at least I don't have to go on a reality TV show to snag him.'
Seriously, who came up with the idea of letting these women sit around and watch each other go off and snog the bachelor? (Bettina is OUR biggest competion?) I think that mother nature should wreak her own revenge by giving the entire chick collective a raging consecutive case of permanent PMS.

I could go on and on, about how all of these girls could see themselves falling in love with him (she hopes the dress reminds him of a wedding dress? that's not scary or premature), how they're all picking up a vibe and how he is just connecting/feeling up/boffing each and every one of them, but honestly, why bother? If you're on to further your acting career then at least you might want to, I don't know- consider acting lessons maybe?

Let's just say that I won't be giving this series a rose any time soon.

Oh, and there's a word for relationships like this one in the states, it's illegal and it's called polygamy, and in foreign countries there's a similar concept- only there they call it a harem, and if you want entertainment in a similar vein you probably should watch Big Love, at least the relationships feel more real than these do.

Ain't (manufactured) love grand?

No comments: